Now that the hot summer days are here, it’s tempting to crank up the A/C, peel off the layers, and retreat until fall. However, this won’t be so friendly on your wallet, so consider these tips to keep your home energy efficient even on the hottest days of the year:
- Reduce your AC usage by turning up the thermostat when nobody is home during the day. You can also automate the thermostat to slowly increase the temperature so it’s just right when you get home.
- Metal roofing is much more energy efficient than traditional asphalt shingles. Contact Lucas Contracting for fast and efficient installation this summer. Metal roofing will save you money and help the environment at the same time.
- When AC filters get clogged with dust, they become less efficient. Replace filters about once per month so your AC runs at its best.
- Ceiling fans can be used to circulate air and cool you down, just remember to turn them off when you leave the room.
- You can plant small trees and high shrubs to keep your AC unit out of the direct sunlight. However, it is very important that you trim them so they don’t block airflow from the unit.
- Appliances which produce heat, like dryers and dishwashers, should be used at night. Otherwise, they’ll just add hot air during the day. Do not use the oven on hot days.
- All your entryway doors should have sweeps at the bottom. Sweeps will keep hot air out, and cool air in.
- If you want to keep your house cool during the day, you should close shade and blinds. Direct sunlight will warm up the house.
- Low AC intake vents should be closed, and the higher ones should be opened. This way, warm air will enter through the AC system.
- When it’s really hot outside, you should switch the fan on your AC control system to “on” instead of “auto” so air is cycled
- Make sure there are no drafts around windows, doors, and vents. If there are, seal them with weather stripping, caulk, or the appropriate materials.
- Make the switch to energy efficient doors, windows, and light bulbs.
- Make sure your roof does not have any loose or missing shingles. Also made sure gutters are free and clear. If there are holes and gaps, cold air can escape outward, costing you money. Contact Lucas Contracting for all your roofing needs.
Enjoy your summer!